Lightbulb Atlas Beginner's Guide

The How to Connect guide should be followed prior to this guide. I also recommend the Razor Tutorial videos that I have posted here, during or after this guide.

This guide is intended to help new players follow a path of least resistance, and should give them an understanding of how to get started on CUO, such as the guide mentioned above. This guide is not tailored towards fresh newbies, as there are many guides available elsewhere on how to start playing UO for the first time. This is intended to help out returning vets, vets who have not played this style of server, or new players who have at least a basic understanding of UO.

Account Creation

On CUO, we allow an individual to connect and play through 2 accounts simultaneously. If you have multiple people on the same IP address trying to connect, please PM or email Klysmos or Tantrik (klysmos@cataclysmuo.com or tantrik@cataclysmuo.com). If you do not request further access, you will be unable to connect to your second account(s). You will likely be required to prove that you are two different people upon connecting, to avoid abuse of more than two multi clients by one individual.

When connecting for the first time, you will simply be able to type in an account/password to create your first account. Make sure your account name will be different than your player character, and that your account/player names are different than your password. Otherwise it will be very easy for someone to maliciously access your account.

Upon entering the game, I suggest you adjust your screen layout and options first. Reference the How to Connect guide for help with setting up your screen layout. In options (click Options on your paperdoll), click the bottom left tab to edit your in-game macro keys. I suggest removing all of the Num-pad keys, and any other non-essential keys. You may also wish to adjust your sound/music options within the Options menu.

Note: A smart first step while using Razor is to go to the General tab, and check the box labeled "Light Levels" within the Filters group box. You'll never have to cast Night Sight again. I cover this in my Razor video tutorials.

Starting Skills

In total, all new players will have available FOUR total skills to set to 50. Two of these skills are selected during the character creation menus, and two are selected upon entering the game. I highly recommend every new player think hard about the choices they make for these four skills. One should consider a few factors before choosing:

• How serious a player you are / what kind of play style you will have (i.e. PvM/Crafting vs. PvP)
    • How difficult a skill is to raise (consistent rate of gain)
    • How many resources, if any, the skill requires to raise, and how expensive or hard-to-get those resources are.

Note via Ramza: Keep in mind that if you set your third starting skill (in character creation) to 1.0, you will get a starting item relative to the skill chosen. So if you choose a combat, you will receive a free weapon.

After considering these factors, here are my recommendations based on the "all-around" play style (a player that will tackle all realms of UO, including all crafting, PvM, and some PvP):

• Provocation: I chose this skill because it is very difficult to raise, and it is likely the best PvM skill to have. A player can provoke enemies to fight one another, nearly eliminating the need for summoning or combat. This skill allows one to farm gold via PvM much more quickly.
    • Animal Taming: This skill is also very difficult to raise, not only due to the rate of gain, but because of the nature of the “resources” required to raise the skill (rare or high-level creatures/mounts). Taming is a great source of income, as well as a useful tool for acquiring a PvM pet at higher levels, such as a Drake. Selling rare mounts can bring in quite the pretty penny.
    • Crafting #1: Choosing any crafting skill that take a long time or a lot of resources is recommended for these last two. I chose Smithing here, as it takes a very long time to acquire all the resources necessary to master, and it is extremely useful for crafting rare weapons and armors.
    • Crafting #2: I chose Alchemy in order to craft Shrinks right off the bat, and because I will be needing healing, invis, and mana potions for PvP, as well as for the vendor.

Another important variable to consider is the fact that you are allowed a second account to multi-client with. It may be more desirable for you to select certain crafting skills on your alternate character instead of on your main. For example, I would actually recommend choosing Mining, Smithy, Lumberjacking, and Bowcrafting on your second account, and Alchemy/Inscription on your main, as your main will likely be your PvP character (so being able to craft potions and scrolls on-the-fly can be very handy).

Note: If you never received a gump to select a third and fourth skill to raise to 50, there is a skill stone right next to your characters starting position in game. Double click it to open the gump menu.

Starting Items

All items that a new player starts with is newbie (Blessed) and will not be lootable upon death. All new characters start with 1500 gold, a half-filled spellbook containing all spells circles 1 to 4, a keyring, and other items relevant to the players chosen starting skills. I recommend taking that starting gold and buying a horse (approx. 500 gold), buying a training weapon such as a cleaver or wooden club, and using some of the remaining gold to train some important skills, like Magery or Tactics, to 30.0 at a vendor.

To train skills at an NPC, simply stand nearby and type "[name] train" for a list of trainable skills at that vendor, and then "[name] train [skill]" and drop the amount of gold they require on top of them.
    Example: "Kleetus train tactics" or "Jimmy train eval"

Dummy Training - Stats and Combats

Note: On CUO, a training dummy can be used to raise combat skills to 65.

After using your starting gold to purchase a training weapon, if you did not already have one available, head to the building next to where you first started that has multiple dummies on the roof. The roof can be accessed through a telepad next to the skill stone I mentioned above, in front of the building. Along with the training dummies, the Newbie Dungeon can be accessed via a portal on the roof top. Through Razor, create a new macro (named whatever you like, such as "Dummy Training") and follow this process:

• In UO, open your "Skills" menu (accessed by clicking Ctrl+K or through a button on your paperdoll), open the Miscellaneous list and scroll down to Stealth.
    • Equip your training weapon (or use no equip to train Wrestling)
    • In Razor, with your new macro selected, click "Record"
    • Back in UO, click the blue button next to Stealth in your skills menu to activate the skill
    • Double click the training dummy
    • In Razor, click "Stop" and check the box next to "Loop" - you should now see a few lines of commands in your new macro
    • Right click the last line of the macro. Click "Special Construct" and click "Insert Pause/Wait"
    • In the text box popup, enter "3200" for 3.2 seconds
    • Click Play to begin the macro

This macro is designed to train Stealth/Hiding with a combat skill simultaneously. As far as I can tell, there is no conflict between using the Stealth skill and waiting to click the dummy again, so the two can essentially be trained at the same time without one interrupting the other. Training combats on the dummies, as well as using Stealth, will cause your players Strength and Dexterity to increase fairly quickly.

Note: Keep an eye on the two so that you can lock them where you wish, such as 100 for each, otherwise they will continue to raise to 120 each, leaving your mana (intelligence) at a measly 60 maximum.

I recommend Stealth here because it can be utilized widely, within any environment, and is generally very useful. You can train whatever skill you wish in place of Stealth, such as anatomy, eval. intel., arms lore, etc. Using one of these skills may raise Intelligence instead of Dexterity, and therefore may be more desirable to you.
    Last edited by Atlas; 01-30-2015 at 09:26 PM.
    IN, IN2, IN:R, IN:A, IN:X, and CUO.
    Other shards: ONO, RevelStone, ColdFire, ABC UO, Xanadu, UOG: Demise, Spike's World at War, etc.

Travel

Getting around Britannia quickly and effectively is essential for smooth sailing. Upon entering the world, your main/best options in regards to quick travel are a horse and the world moongate. As I mentioned before, I recommend your first purchase in game should be a horse at an Animal Tamer NPC. Beyond that, finding and utilizing the Moongate is a good idea early on.
    When entering the moongate, the player will be teleported randomly to a different moongate location.

For all moongate locations, see Elcid's guide here

Later on in your character's progression, you may acquire a Mark spell scroll for your spellbook. After obtaining the Mark spell, you will need a blank rune with which to cast mark on at your desired location. After marking a rune, cast Recall (which every player should start with) on the rune to teleport to that location. Rename a rune by double clicking it, then typing and entering the text. You can also cast Gate Travel on a rune, after acquiring the spell/scroll, to open a moongate to the location so that multiple people may travel back and forth as many times as they wish for a short period of time, until the moongate disappears.

Aside from methodology, map knowledge and utilization is recommended for getting around. Within Razor and AUO/UOS there is a basic map utility built in. I believe you can access the map under the General tab within either application. The best/most functional map application for UO, however, is UOAM or "UO Auto Map."

UOAM can be downloaded here

I'll expand on UOAM later, but I highly recommend this utility for exploration and searches for vendors, possible mount locations, city layouts, etc.

Getting Gold, Regs, and other resources

Gold

Obtaining gold is fairly straightforward, but can be time consuming - especially at first.

I recommend utilizing PvM - either the Newbie Dungeon or Britain Graveyard - as your initial source of gold. Keep in mind that Brit GY is not a safe zone, and PKs may be a threat, where as the Newbie Dungeon is a safe zone in regards to PvP and player looting. In the newbie dungeon, I suggest killing Viral Blood, Skeleton Archers, Zombies (for some bandages), and the Ettin. If you're up for it, try killing the Drake as well. These will yield the best loot and Gold. After killing all of these mobs, kill everything in between for 50-100 gold per monster. One full dungeon wipe will result in anywhere from 3-4k, and take about 10-15 minutes depending on your combat/magery skill levels.

Selling items obtained via crafting or PvM loot is also an option. If you care to loot the extra items, I recommend looting Gems as well as pieces of armor / weapons to sell. After a run through the newbie dungeon, I usually sell 500-600g worth of Gems. Items obtained through crafting, such as daggers crafted through Smithing, can also be sold to vendors. I would not recommend this, however, because smelting daggers down to iron to be reused is more worth-while for the skill gain. You may also wish to sell raw iron or ores from Mining to vendors for some cash as well, but this will not yield much of a return, especially compared to dagger sales. Overall, I would recommend PvM as your main source of Gold, or a personal vendor for selling items to other players.

Note-to-self: I will expand on Player-Run-Vendors and how to use them later.

Reagents (pronounced ree-ay-jints)

Getting regs for spell casting, and for training Magery, Alchemy, or Inscription, can be a pain. The easiest and most common way to get regs is by purchasing them from vendors. Buying one main-spell reg will typically cost 4g. This cost can rack up quickly, and can become a serious burden on a newbie trying to train Magery. It will eventually cost tens-of-thousands of Gold to train Magery to 100. Another way to get regs is by finding spell-caster mobs that drops them in bulkier amounts. The best one I've found is the Ice Elf Mage NPC, found in the Ice Dungeon and on Ice Isle, among other locations. Last I checked, this NPC drops 15 of each reg as well as some gold, and is a great source if you're patient. Other than this, I'll point out that if you happen to be an AUO user, I highly suggest adding each reg to your autoloot agent, including Eyes of Newt and Batwings.

Cloth for Bandages or Tailoring

Finding ways to obtain the bulk amounts of bandages necessary for combat/magery training is fairly important. You can potentially save thousands of coin by finding Wool and Cotton instead of buying raw materials from vendors (cloth or bandages themselves). For wool, I suggest you seek out the town of Yew, via the global Moongate. Yew has 3 large sheep pens where you can use a knife to sheer sheep and gather large amounts of wool in one run. For cotton, you'll have to do some exploring and find some farmland that grows cotton, where you can double click the plant to pick the raw material.

After gathering some wool/cotton, you'll have to find a Tailor shop with a Spinning Wheel and a Loom. Use the material on the spinning wheel to turn it into Yarn/Thread, and use the Loom to turn that into Bolts of Cloth. After using up all your materials, use a pair of scissors to cut the Bolts of Cloth into Folded Cloth, and STOP here if you wish to gather cloth for Tailoring. If you're after bandages, cut the cloth a second time with the scissors to turn the Folded Cloth into Bandages. For every one bolt of cloth, you'll get 50 bandages.

One run through the Yew sheep pens can yield hundreds of bandages. And don't forget, you can clean bloody bandages to get back a lot of clean ones!

Spell Scrolls

Scrolls are important early on for building up a full spellbook. If you plan on GMing Magery straight away, you can basically ignore this section due to the fact that players are rewarded a full/colored/named spellbook upon Grand Mastery.
    Scrolls can be obtained by killing caster mobs that drop high-level spell scrolls, or through another player's Inscription crafting. I recommend killing higher level casters to obtain the essentials for PvM and gameplay, like Mark, EV, BS, etc.

Hint: There are some casters that drop full spellbooks that one could use temporarily. I usually get one ASAP for the 5-8 circle spells, until I can find scrolls.

Early Mastery

Use your time wisely in the early stages of training. If you train your players combats up, and go straight to a crafting skill as opposed to training Magery, for example, you will still be left in the dark in regards to PvM, PvP, and easier traveling. It is important early on to consider "what are the most important skills to train". There are a handful of absolute essential skills in regards to getting your new player to a state of general enjoyment and function, as I'm sure many of the returning vets are aware. I recommend mastering these skills first:

Magery / Healing

Magery is by far the most important skill, especially early on. Without having some mastery over it, you will not be able to travel quickly, summon to assist you in PvM, or PvP effectively. Training Magery is most efficiently done by using Sulfurous Ash (SA) to cast Magic Arrow, as this spell only requires the one reagent, which lessens the cost of training, and costs little mana. One may also use Black Pearl (BP) to cast Fireball, however Fireball uses more mana. Because the skill requires resources, you will of course need to acquire gold for buying regs.

What's required / suggested:

• SA or BP
    • Bandages
    • At least 20-30 intelligence
    • Training Magery to 30.0
    • A safe place to macro

Using Razor, add a new macro and record this process with conditionals:
    *If you are not familiar enough with Razor to create this macro, this is where you need to watch my video tutorials on Razor*

Create a counter for SA and BP if there is not one already

• If hits > 99% ... [99 if your max hits are 100]
    • .....If SA > 1
    • .....Cast Magic Arrow on self
    • .....Pause 1200
    • .....endif
    • else
    • Bandage Self
    • Pause 3000
    • Clean dirty bandages
    • endif

• If hits > 99%
    • .....If BP > 1
    • .....Cast Fireball on self
    • .....Pause 1500
    • .....endif
    • else
    • Bandage Self
    • Pause 3000
    • Clean dirty bandages
    • endif

• if mana < 15%
    • .....For 1 to 8
    • .....Use Meditation
    • .....Pause 5000
    • .....endfor
    • endif

Optional but recommended:

• Keep your regs/bandages in the same bag
    • Add a Restock via Agents that targets your reg bag (in your bank or house), and then add a hotkey for that Restock
    • At the end of the macro record the hotkey action with conditional. For example:

• If SA < 1
    • "Restock 1" - to restock SA / BP / Bandages
    • Pause 500
    • endif

• If BP < 1
    • Same thing
    • endif

The macro should keep your player stocked with regs and bandages, only cast if you're above a certain amount of health, only meditate if you're low on mana, heal if you're even slightly damaged (which will cause Healing to gain more quickly that waiting for your health to be at 60-70%, for example), and clean dirty bandages.

This macro will raise the following skills: Magery, Healing, Evaluating Intel, Meditation, and Magic Resistance
    Last edited by Atlas; 01-30-2015 at 02:14 PM.
    Other shards: ONO, RevelStone, ColdFire, ABC UO, Xanadu, UOG: Demise, Spike's World at War, etc.

Healing / Parrying / Combats

Mastering Healing is also very important, as it allows mana-free healing and the mana/spell-free instantaneous resurrecting of allies. A player can heal great amounts of health, fairly quickly, and can even heal while hidden. To macro/train Healing, you must have a sparring partner. I recommend using a character your second account that will simultaneously raise their combat skills. It is also recommended that you have an actual house as your safe macroing location. Small houses can be purchased for around 42,000g.

What's required / suggested:

• Sparring Partner
    • Large amount of Bandages
    • Water to clean bandages with
    • Armor and multiple shields of the same type [Buckler for example]
    • Multiple weapons

In Razor, record a macro using this process:

Main Character

• If hits < 80%
    • Bandage Self
    • Pause 3000
    • Clean dirty bandages
    • endif
    • Double-click shield by Type so that it cycles through them - see below
    • Double-click extra armor pieces

Optional: Add a Restock function to your macro in order to restock bandages, alternatively simply double-click from a stack on the floor/in a chest.

Alternate Character

• Double-click weapon by Type
    • Double-click weapon by Type
    • Etc...Continue until you've recorded all double clicks in your pack. If you only have 1 weapon type (for example, 8 Cleavers), simply record the ONE weapon type d-click and you'll be good.
    • Pause 15000, or 30000, etc. - just make it somewhat long and loop it so that it will equip a new weapon when one breaks

As long as your alt character is in war mode and is not accidentally being attacked by your main, this should be all you need for the macro.
    This macro will raise the following skills: Healing and Parrying on your main && [Combat], Tactics, and Anatomy on your alt. Be sure that your main character has plenty of extra trash armor pieces to cycle through, so that he will be as protected as possible. This reduces the risk of death, and therefore a loss of resources.

Combat / Tactics

Mastering a combat as well as Tactics is important to function well in PvM and especially 1v1 PvP. Archery is likely the most useful PvM combat skill, and the higher a player's skill in Tactics, the less likely they are to miss their target, whether with a sword or a bow. Training one of these skills is essentially the inversion of training Healing. Simply play the role of the hitter instead of the healer as I mentioned above.

To farm arrows for training archery, I recommend killing the Skeleton Archers in the Newbie Dungeon [or elsewhere] as much as possible. Alternatively, one can craft arrows, or buy them from a vendor. While training archery, I recommend that the healer AND the shooter both have Arrows activated in their Scavenger list in Razor. This is important so that your immediate area is not flooded with a high item count from the arrows that fall on the ground. If you wish, you can even add in an Organizer agent for you healer to place the arrows into a box, and then a restock agent on the shooter to grab the arrows back out of the box.

Note: Skill gain rate is twice as for Swords, Macing, and Fencing are below 100.0 combined. In other words, if your swords is at 50.0, and Macing at 0.0, your fencing will go up twice as fast until you reach 50.0 (total 100.0 between the three skills).

Stealth

This is the last on my list of "Primary" skills to master initially. I recommend this skill because it is useful in a handful of different ways, name in 'hairy' situations. Stealth/Hiding can be used in combat, as long as you are at least 4-5 steps away from the mob or player attacking you, and you are able to use bandages while hidden, therefore these skills are great to have when trying to escape, get your act together and heal up, or to sneak up on players or through mobs of difficult monsters to get to a rare mount, for example. Training it is straightforward and easy, and you should be able to get to at least 60 or 70 by the time you finish up on the Training Dummies. Remember: While macroing Stealth, Hiding will go up as well.

As of now, using Stealth as a grand master (100.0) will allow between 2 and at least 17 or 18 steps. I haven't officially kept track of the maximum, but I believe the min. and max. are both outside the norm. (normally steps are about 5-15 at grand master). Hopefully the minimum will be raised in the future

Post Script

I'll revisit this section and add some extra information, such as speech commands and useful in-game shortcuts that I use often.
    I also plan on amending the above section and adding in Provocation, as it is unarguably the most useful PvM skill, aside from Magery.

I hope this guide was helpful and covered all the bases
    -Atlas
    Last edited by Atlas; 02-03-2015 at 01:05 AM.

Great guide. Where do I get clean water for my house?

Knocked it out of the park with this one. I burned 2 of my 50 skills on healing/magery before I realized they would be pretty easy to just macro up (especially with patch 6 increases rates up to 60, doh). I would also add that while starting with Alchemy is a good idea, it's also not THAT hard to level up (albeit time consuming) since your reagents are bought from a vendor. Unlike BS or carpentry or tinkering where you have to buy from players or mine up yourself. You can also level up poisoning while doing alchemy, though that increases the cost substantially.
    Last edited by Ramza Beoulve; 01-29-2015 at 09:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dropkick View Post
    Great guide. Where do I get clean water for my house?
    You can either craft a water trough via Carpentry, or you can also temporarily use pitchers of water (bought from a provisioner). I believe the pitchers eventually run out of water, though.
    You can also use any body of water, if you're next to the sea for example.

Thanks Ramza I chose Alchy because I'm gonna be doing Smithy, Mining, Lumber, and Bowcrafting on my alt, and wanted the PvP skills on my main (Alchy and Scribe). Might even have a third alt for Carpentry, since it's pretty useless to have on a main. If Tinkering is used in combination with Smithy in order to be able to craft rare recipes, I'll just go from 30 on my alt.
    Last edited by Atlas; 01-29-2015 at 11:29 PM.

Atlas,

This is a very impressive guide, we find it most usefull and will likely implement a version of this onto the main site.

Nice work,
    Tantrik Dragon
    -==(UDIC)==-
    Administrator / Developer
    Ultima Online Cataclysm
    tantrik@cataclysmuo.com

Quote Originally Posted by Tantrik View Post
    Atlas,

This is a very impressive guide, we find it most usefull and will likely implement a version of this onto the main site.

Nice work,
    Thanks Tan =]
    I found the one on the main page already pretty informative. Hopefully this can add to some of it.

Is their a limit on the newbie dungeon?
    I vaguely remember a 1k skillpoint limit from somewhere, but I'm not sure.

Thanks for the guide!

I think it is 2000 points "show real". I might be wrong though!